Thursday 22 May 2014

What's In My Make Up Bag? (Pic Heavy + Swatches!)

I love seeing these types of posts/ videos mainly because I'm nosey and love seeing other people's make up.  Lately I feel like my own make up has become a little jam packed and that it's a great opportunity to show you what's actually in it!


I forewarn you, this is going to be a long and pic-heavy post. I suggest you grab a cuppa and a snack haha :)


So this is my make up bag and I'm certain that this was probably Mary Poppins' make up bag because the amount of space is ridiculous - even with my unnecessary amount of make up there is still space for more things.

I did actually get this from Clinique as it came with one of their gift promotions where you buy 2 items and get a whole load of goodies. I really love this because of the space, I've had other make up bags in the past and their either not wide enough or they aren't deep enough. So lets talk about the make up in it.

The Base



Chanel Perfection Lumiere in 12 Beige Rose
I am in love with this foundation! I've had it for a little while now and I love it more and more each time I use it. This is a VERY pink based foundation but I think that's down to the shade and they do quite a lot of shades where I am sure that some are yellow based. On another note, this stuff is fragranced and I am obsessed with the scent, if anyone knows if the fragrance of this is the same as a perfume they sell then I would be super happy if you could let me know. If not the Chanel take note and make that into one of your perfumes, It's amazing!!

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in 1 Light
This stuff has gained a bit of a reputation in the beauty blogging world and it's no surprise why. If you have had the good fortune of trying this then you will know exactly what I am talking about. Firstly the texture is thick and creamy which I find nice to apply and secondly this has mega coverage. This is totally inexpensive so is reallly good value.

Benefit Porefessional Primer
I have only tried this out a few times so it's still very much in the testing phase. I do quite like it so far as it feels quite nice to apply, it makes my make up last and as far as I'm aware it hasn't clogged my pores.

Elf Lid Primer
I have been using this for a while now as I ran out of my Urban Decay Primer Potion, which is my favourite. I honestly think this stuff is great value for money because it actually does a pretty good job. I never go without an eye primer because it does make a huge difference to the colour pay off and wear time of your shadows and liners, if you are wanting to try an eye primer but are working on a budget or don't quite want to pay out because you might be a little sceptical then give this a go, I promise you won't regret it.  

Maybelline Matte Maker Mattifying Powder
Another new product to me and I've had it about 3 weeks and it seems pretty legit so far. It's definitely mattifying and I haven't had any issues with cakey-ness when reapplying as the day goes on. Again not a very expensive product and definitely one worth a try.

Real Techniques Powder Brush and Expert Face Brush
By far the best brushes I have used. The powder brush is large enough that it picks up enough powder to be able to cover your face but not so much that it becomes cakey. The Expert Face Brush is the absolute perfect brush for the Chanel Perfection Lumiere foundation - it makes it absolutely flawless!

(from left to right - Chanel Perfection Lumiere, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer, Benefit Porefessional Primer, Elf Lip Primer and Maybelline Matte Maker Powder)


The Cheeks



Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Diffused Heat
I jumped on this as soon as I saw it, I hunted it down and parted with my cash so easily and I don't regret a thing! Though there were a few different ones I would have chosen I am happy I went with this colour because I think it suits my skin tone perfectly. It is a little pricey but if you know what suits you then I say give it go :)

Elf Contouring Blush & Bronze in St Lucia
I got this as one part of my first order from the Elf website. I was more interested in the blush than the bronzer but I got the duo because I thought 'Can't hurt to have a bronzer in my collection!'. I actually use the bronzer a fair bit and only ever in a light handed fashion otherwise it would be far too much. I do use the blush but more like a blush primer because the colour isn't overly strong I usually sweep it across my cheeks and then focus a stronger blush on the apples (not too much though!).

NARS Highlighter in Albatross
This was the first ever highlighter I have ever bought, I was completely new to it all and it has literally stepped up my make up game. This is a super pale almost white gold colour that just reflects light so beautifully. It doesn't contain any chunky glitters which is nice because I find highlighters easier to use if they have more of a sheen than a glitter.

NARS Blush in Deep Throat
Originally I went for the much coveted Orgasm blush but when I saw it I was a little bit scared. After having a look around at other options I came to this one which is a lot less scary and actually very flattering on my skin tone. I feel that I end up with similar blushes because I know what looks good on me (Note to self: Step out of comfort zone.).

Ecotools Blush Brush
My mum had been using an older version of this brush (which she seems to love) so I thought that Ecotools would be a good brush to invest in. I really do like the Ecotools brushes because they are just so darn soft!...and not to mention great quality and not badly priced either. They are also a really good shape for picking up blush and giving a good application.

 (Elf St Lucia Blush & Bronze, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Diffused Heat, NARS Deep Throat Blush, NARS Albatross Highlighter)


The Eyes



MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash Mascara
Such a mouthful of a name! This is my second ever MAC mascara and whilst the first could have easily put me off I had a bit of resilience about it and gave them another go. I am so glad I did, I originally tried the Zoom Fast Black Lash and was so disappointed. I found the formula to be quite clumpy and it also dried out really fast. This one however is amazing! It's quite defining and lengthening, it's super black and I've been using it for a while (probably longer than I should be) and it isn't anywhere near being dry.

Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette
I think I am honestly in love with this palette. Of course I love both the Naked 1 and 3 but I think this one is the most versatile out of them all. I think we all know how good the quality of these shadows are, they are buttery, very pigmented and (for me) not prone to creasing. I love the fact that there is a really pigmented matte black mainly because I use it for liner as it gives a softer smoked out look.

Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara
I bought this because of all the hype around it and at first when I was trying it out I wasn't that taken by it but then when I went back to using a regular mascara wand it was so difficult. The wand on this makes application sooo easy! The formula is also pretty nice, I haven't had any issues with it.

Elf Cream Eyeliner
I was so super surprised by this when I first tried it. I was expecting the colour to not set properly and end up with black half way up my eyelid but no, it sets perfectly! I totally tried this on a whim because I was after a new gel liner and I was making an Elf order anyway so I thought 'Why not?' and it paid off. The colour is opaque and really black. The formula is also creamy and doesn't seem prone to drying out. Nothing but good things to say :)

Kiss Eyelash Curlers
I haven't had too much experience with different eyelash curlers and I know loads of people have a preference (specifically I hear Shu Uemura is great for them) but to be honest I think half of it must come don to your technique and the other half comes down to the quality of the curler. I've heard horror stories about people cutting their eyelashes off because of a bad curlers so I definitely think investing in a reputable brand  is a must. I rally like my curlers and I've never felt in danger of chopping my lashes.

Collection Liner in Black
This is really just a standard twist up liner which I think is an absolute must in a make up bag. They're great for quick liner application when you don't have time. Not to mention they're easy to line your tightline and waterline with.

Real Techniques Shader Brush and Silicone Liner Brush
The shader brush is fairly small but is great at both packing on colour and blending out in a fine detail. The brush is really soft so it isn't at all irritating on your eyes. I'm also still putting the Silicone Liner Brush through the testing phase and I am getting better with it and I do really like it, perhaps I'll do a demo sometime.

(Urban Decay Naked 2 swatches - Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted and Blackout)

Oh yes I do weird swatches! (Collection Liner Elf Cream Eyeliner, Clinique Bottom Lash mascara, MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash)


The Brows



Elf Eyebrow Kit in Light
I had tried pencils for so long and I wanted to change and nearly forked out for either Benefit Browzings or Urban Decay Brow Box but when I saw this I thought it would be a better option because of price. I was solely using this for ages but now I am only using the wax which I love because it gives nice definition and helps fill in any sparse areas. The powder is also pretty nice and would probably make a good eyeshadow so I will have to try using it like that.

Benefit Gimme Brow in Light/Medium
A couple of months ago I couldn't go down my Bloglovin' newsfeed without seeing at least 5 reviews of this, naturally I had to try it. I had been disappointed with brow gel in the past so I have no idea what on earth persuaded me to buy this especially considering the price! I am however thankful that something made me buy it because this has taken my brow game to the next level, I can honestly use this by itself and it will take me 2 mins to neaten and fill my brows and it will look like I spend ages on them.

Ecotools Liner Brush
This wa being used as a liner brush for a while but then I thought of combining the wax and gimme brow and needed a good angled brush, I have other liner brushes so I wasn't so fussed about changing the purpose of this one. It gives such a fine line and great detail which is exactly what I want.

More weird swatches! (first 2 lines Elf brow kit wax, Elf Brow kit powder, Benefit Gimme Brow)


The Lips



 Urban Decay Naked Ultra Nourishing Lip Gloss in Nooner
Damn I love this gloss! It's smooth and not at all sticky, it smells nice, it applies evenly and doesn't leave your lips feeling dry. I will probably invest in more of these in the future because I love this one so much!

Maybelline Baby Lips in Intense Care
I care a lip balm with me wherever I go because I hate the feeling of dry lips. One is always in my bag, if I'm going out and I'm dressed up I take whatever is on my lips and a lip balm. Sometimes I can't be bothered with the maintenance of whatever colour I'm wearing and if my lips have started to look chapped and dry I just start a fresh and apply some lip balm to calm it all.

MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Creme Cup
I've had this for a while and I'm coming to the end of it which makes me a little sad because it is my favourite. I like to apply the UD gloss over the top of this lipstick because the pairing is unreal, it's so flawless!

 (MAC Creme Cup, UD Naked Gloss in Nooner)


So that is everything that is in my make up bag, I told you that it was going to be a long post and I really hope it was worth the read for you. I'd love to know what's in your make up bags so if you've done any sort of similar post just comment below with it and I'll be sure to read it :)

Speak soon
Roo xx

1 comment:

I love to read everyone's thoughts, comments and opinions and I'll always try to reply :)