Friday 27 December 2013

Urban Decay Naked 1, 2 and 3 Review!

If you saw my post about an hour ago then you will know that I got the Urban Decay Naked 2 and 3 for Christmas. I have had the original Naked Palette for quite some time and I want to do a full review for you given that I have had a chance to try them now.

*Just to let you know this is a long extensive post so if you're interested then grab a cuppa and a couple of biccies.

So in a nice order, here are the 3 Naked Palettes.

All have pretty amazing packaging but to be completely honest I think the 2 and 3 are leagues ahead in terms of design with snap closes, solid plastic cases and much larger mirrors they are definitely more durable. But the packaging of the original Naked hasn't let me down yet so it isn't bad.

Looking at the colours they don't seem too different but I assure you that this is purely my cameras fault, I can see the resemblance between 1 and 2 but honestly 3 is soo different and even then there are definite benefits to having 1 and 2.

1 has very wearable brown based neutrals, 2 has a few deeper/lighter more dramatic colours and 3 has very romantic soft pink based neutrals.




So lets do this in order. Here is my run down of Naked 1;

 I have separated the colours into 6 per picture just so you can see them better.

The first 6 are (From left to right):Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck and Half Baked.

They are very light easily workable, blendable and highly pigmented neutrals perfect for everyday wear.





I decided that it would be better if I showed you some swatches too and they are in the same order as before.

Virgin is the perfect pearly highlight but with light application it can be totally workable for everyday.

Sin also works as a highlight but it isn't as light as Virgin and is a bit more rosy in colour.

Naked is the perfect base colour, If you have anywhere from my skintone to light/medium this would really help to even out the tone of your eyes.

Sidecar is such an expensive looking colour, it has quite a lot of shimmer and I would probably say it's a deep champagne colour and is perfect to add a little more dimension to a look but is still very workable.

Buck goes perfect with naked and like I say about if you have a similar skintone to me then this is a great crease colour, its not too dark so it means that you can add definition to your eyes if you wanted to focus on something like winged eyeliner.

Finally Half Baked is a very highly pigmented gold shimmer and works for more special occasion eye makeup.

 This is the second half of the palette and the colours are (again from left to right): Smog, Darkhorse, Toased, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal

This is the darker, more intense half.

Smog, I think, is a darker version of Half Baked and has more of a bronze quality but again is super pigmented.

Darkhorse is a darker version of Smog but also the shimmer is a lot more muted but I love to pair these two together.

Toasted is a very pinky tone shimmer, it still has the brown colour in there but it is certainly different to the rest of the colours.

Hustle I think pairs perfectly with Toasted because it has purply undertones which both work together really well it still has quite a bit of shimmer though.

Creep is a sightly shimmery black but it isn't as intense as you might thin thought it is still quite dark.

Finally Gunmetal which is a very dark metallic grey and would really darken any look, Creep and Gunmetal and the only 2 in the palette which done have a warm brown undertone.

Overall rating: 9/10 - I love this palette and it is what I have used almost everyday since I got it. There is no fault whatsoever with the quality of the shadows and in fact they are the best that I have ever used but the only issue I have is actually a common thought about this palette and it is that it could do with more mattes, I would have liked to have seen at least one dark brown matte. But all in all this is totally worth the money.


Next up! Naked 2. Still with me? Good, I did warn you that this would very extensive and we've only been through one of them so far!

 So First 6, Foxy, Half Baked, Booty Call, Chopper, Tease and Snakebite.

There is only 1 repeat in all of these palettes and that is Half Baked which is a little annoying but I can live with it because I love the colour.







My arms were a little cold here haha.

Foxy is a yellowy white matte. This is a perfect highlight if you don't want a shimmer or pearl finish.

Half Baked I don't really have to describe because I did it before.

Bootycall is another highlight colour but it has a little bit of a pearl finish and is similar to Virgin but the pearl is much more subdued.

Chopper is a coppery shimmer so has a reddish brown tone to it and is quite an intense shade.

Tease is another matte shade and is a very neutral medium toned brown, a sort of taupe shade.

Snake bite is actually quite dark considering where it has been placed in the palette it has a high simmer/pearl and is a very deep taupe shade.

Next Half: Suspect, Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted and Blackout.


 Suspect, to me, is a pearl version of Sidecar which had an intense shimmer.

Pistol is a grey brown and has the same finish as suspect.

Verve is again another stangely placed colour because this is a very bright and light silver shimmer colour which I would use as a highlight in the centre of the lid.

YDK and Busted are similar to Toasted and Hustle in the 1st Naked palette but the undertone aren't as intense in Naked 2.

Blackout, this is perfect! I don't use it often but it's so necessary. It's a deep matte back which I would end up using as a liner because I don't often use black but it is something that I think everyone should at least have in their makeup kit.

Overall Rating: 9/10 - It is a little similar to Naked 1 but has more mattes and some very essential colours but the fact that it has a colour repeat is a little disappointing because I think you could have used the space as an opportunity for another matte shade.


Finally, Naked 3.
 Overall this is a light palette but is totally pink, so if you're after a more feminine set of colours then this would be the one to go for.

The first 6 colours are: Strange, Dust, Burnout, Limit, Buzz and Trick.







Strange is another matte highlight, it is a very pale pink and again like foxy is perfect if you don't want to have any shimmer/pearl.

Dust, oh my God! This colour if you don't like glitter then you will absolutely hate this. This has super chunky glitter pieces in and you have to be so careful when applying this because honestly it can get everywhere.

Burnout is a shimmery beige pink and I know that a lot of people said that they had an issue with this colour and that the intensity wasn't that high but I think if you apply it with a finger instead of brush then you will be able to get the right intensity.

Limit is like the matte version of Burnout and is the pink equivalent of Naked from Naked 1 (if that makes my sense).

Buzz is a simmer rose pink. In fact the shimmer is quite intense but no where near dust.

Trick is actually quite orangey and probably the odd one out in the selection but it still has pinky qualities so still ties in with all the other colours.

Nest six: Nooner, Liar, Factory, Mug Shot, Darkside and Blackheart

I think this palette is similar to Nked 1 in the sense that the 'darker' shades are still not really that dark and are very wearable.







Nooner is the final matte shade in this palette and is a deep version of Limit and I really love when their matte shade are just deeper/lighter versions of one another.

Liar is a shimmery purple/brown.

Factory is like Liar but much deeper, I think its a common thing in these palettes to have 2 colours at least which pair up really well because they are along the same colour family.

Mugshot is another shimmer finish and its kind of a dirty pink champagne and again is one which has that really luxurious expensive look to it.

Darkside us a very slightly shimmery dark grey/brown/pink colour and would look perfect  in the outer corner to add a bit more dimension.

Blackheart, now this was a shade I was super excited about. It's black but with lots of pink micro glitter in it and the glitter totally take off the edge from the black though its more of a really dark grey than a black.

Overall Rating: 10/10 - I know it seems a bit obviously that I would favour this one because it is totally new and different but to be honest I can't really fault it, the variety of finish is great and the fact that it has more mattes in is great and I love the pinks that it gives you.


Anyway that is finally the end of my review and I really hope that you have found this helpful and worth your time because I know that it was quite a lengthy post. I will be dong some form of video tutorial. To show you the variety if these palettes and be able to give you an idea of how you can use them to achieve loads of different looks.


Thanks for reading!

- Roo xx


2 comments:

  1. This post has helped me a lot because I am looking for a new palette. I want a larger selection of mattes. I have the Naked Ammo palette and I didn't realise they were all shimmer - I often end up with bits of glitter all over my face!

    http://thirtysomethingoap.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww cool! I hate it when I get a lot of fall out from shadows :)

      Delete

I love to read everyone's thoughts, comments and opinions and I'll always try to reply :)