Sunday 2 June 2013

May Haul/Review

I have decided that I am going to start doing a monthly haul/review sort of thing, though this could end up being a little difficult because I suppose some months there might not be anything that I have to show you :S

Anyway, I have done a little shopping last month and as we are now officially into June then I can show a completed May haul/review and I will apologise in advance for the picture to text ratio, so sorry about that!. Here we go...



First of all I picked up this Smashbox Try It Kit from boots for £19 and for that price I thought it would be worth a shot.

So In this kit (From left to right) :
1. Photo Finish Primer
2. Photo Finish Lid Primer
3. Limitless Eye Liner - Onyx
4. Hyperlash Mascara
5. Lip Enhancing Gloss



My first thoughts when seeing what was in the box was that it is really a decent starter kit and because I had never used smash box before than this would be the best was to get introduced to it. I have tried other primers/lid primers before so it is interesting to see how well they compare to the others.

I have actually used all of these products so here are my thoughts:

1. Photo Finish Primer:
I actually really like this! I have heard very mixed reviews and I can see why. I love the feel of the product on my skin and it does make my skin a little matte but not as much as I would have hoped for. It feels soo luxurious on the skin and it really smooths everything out. So over all I do like it and I would either consider buying it again or choosing another primer from Smashbox and I am very interested in trying the green colour correcting primer that they have as that is a very big issue for my skin.

2. Photo Finish Lid Primer:
I was using the Urban Decay Primer Potion before using this primer and I really love my primer potion, it is the perfect formula but I like this primer as well. The primer applies in the same way as Urban Decay but for some weird reason the formula feels a bit rough :/ It's also coloured to about a light medium skin tone which I'm really not a fan of because I have such fair skin...Actually after a bit of research, they only have one colour and it's described as warm beige. So as much as I think that it's a nice primer I think I'll stick to my Urban Decay.

3. Limitless Eyeliner - Onyx
I have wanted to buy a new pencil eyeliner for a while and it's great that I have this one to try. I was using the Clinique Quickliner but I was thinking about buying the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eyeliner. I just want something that would work well for tightlining (If you have any suggestions then let me know) so it needs to stay and be nice to apply. I found that this was nice to apply on skin but when I was trying to apply it to my tightline it was a little difficult to get on a first but then finally went on. It is a really nice quality eyeliner and stays on quite and the colour is quite intense, but I much prefer a gel liner for my eyes.

4. Hyperlash Mascara:
I LOVE this mascara, Its a standard plastic brush but one edge has a row of slightly longer spikes. It's fantastic for lengthening and volumising lashes. It's not a harsh formula that dries solid so touching up on your mascara won't hurt too much.I would seriously recommend giving this a try.

5. Lip Enhancing Lipgloss:
I'm always a bit dubious about new lipglosses, mainly because there is nothing worse than a sticky lipgloss, especially if you have long hair like me. This one wasn't too sticky but I would still have to tie my hair back, the colour is really nice - its like a sparkly champagne. There was one thing that I really didn't like and it was that after a while it felt really gritty on my lips so I probably wouldn't buy this again but I will finish it.


 This is another Smashbox mascara and I managed to only get this for £2! They were having a charity event at their counter in Boots Eldon Square where if you donated to Macmillan Cancer Support then you got to do a lucky dip :)

It's a really nice mascara and the formula isn't too different to the Hyperlash but the brush gives a fuller effect and I think this usually retails for around £17 so compared to some other brands then it's not too bad of a price.


I would like to just this opportunity to mention a bit more about Macmillan Cancer Support and how important their work is. They raise money so that there can be a higher quality of support for those who are suffering with cancer, providing them with the appropriate care and someone to be there for them because they believe that no one should have to go through it alone. I really feel that their work is exceptional and that more people should know about their work. Here's their website --> http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx


I have also been to M.A.C and bought myself a few little goodies :)

This first one is the Extra Dimensions Eyeshadow in Opalesse
and this makes a brilliant brow and cheek bone highlighter.

It's a two tone pearly shadow. Mainly white with a purple effect.

It's bigger than the normal eyeshadows and I think it casts about £16.50

I have heard loads of beauty bloggers talking about how much they like this lipstick and so I decided that I would give it a try!

I absolutely love the smell of M.A.C lipsticks and their colour range is fantastic. This is the colour Creme Cup and it is a Cremesheen finish and its a pinky beige colour which I think is fantastic for everyday wear!

The lipsticks cost about £14 which I don't think is massively over priced and they have virtually every colour you could ever want!
 I also bought my first ever M.A.C Nail Laquer and this is the colour Pistachio Creme which is a pale mint green.
It costs about £10 which is reasonable considering there are other  brands which would cost more.

It's similar to Essie Mint Candy Apple but I think this is slightly more blue and could pass for a Tiffany's Blue.

I love this and the packaging is lovely but if I do buy another then I think I will go for something a little more obscure and unique.







I was also in Lush and I went in specifically to buy the Karma soap but when I got to the counter to pay the sales assistant said that they also made a perfume in the same scent.

There are 3 different intensities to this perfume and the solid one (pictured) is the weakest but by no means is it subtle.
They have one in a long tube which is the second strongest and
then one in a black bottle which is the strongest.

The solid perfume only costs £5 so it's really inexpensive and it has the most amazing smell. Though I would suggest that it is more of an autumn/ winter fragrance.






I hope that I haven't completely completely rambled on and if you think that I haven't provided you with the answers you wanted about a specific product shown then just let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP :)
I hope you like this post :)
- Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read everyone's thoughts, comments and opinions and I'll always try to reply :)